Tuesday 7 May 2013

Best Beers of the USA: the unlucky few

Frothy goodness

Following on from my best beers of the USA article, I have managed to compile a list of beers that just missed out on the cut. These could so easily have been part of my top twenty (20) and replaced a lot of the current crop. In fact, you'll probably even think they should've been in the list? I hope you don't scream profanities at me?

I wouldn't blame you if you did, actually. Taking into consideration all the factors that made me decide what beers made my list (and which beers didn't) was harder than even I had anticipated.

So, you can take everything I say with a pinch of salt - or perhaps a bucket of salt? Either way, while you read the list below I'll put on my motorbike helmet and padded vest in readiness for the pandemonium. Can't be too careful, nowadays. :-/

Allagash Brewing Fluxus
Talk about finding a diamond in the rough. Fame Wine & Cigar Lounge is an extremely up-market and classy venue in the middle of Palm Springs, California. Had it not been for the eagle eyes of Dawn and Jenn this venue would have been missed. I'm so glad they spotted this. Inside was luxury personified. Leather seating, ambient lighting, posh atmosphere, classy architecture. It had everything.

Sipping this beast called Allagash Brewing Fluxus made me feel like a millionaire. I even managed to squawk out a few toffy-nosed English phrases, just to pretend how it felt to be obnoxiously rich. The Fluxus has fruity aromas with a touch of spice while the malt profile lends itself to be a dry finish but sweet tasting. An astonishingly good beer.

Elysian Omen Belgian
Crikey! The Collins Pub is one of the best finds in Seattle. Jenn and I had just completed the Underground Tour of Seattle and while we were finishing up our tour guide simply pointed out that he loved his beer and we should "try Collins pub." You didn't have to ask us twice. Even more remarkable that, as it turned out, we had our car parked right in front of Collins Pub without even knowing. I think the Universe was aligned in some magical way that day?

Elysian Brewing turned out to be my favourite brewery while in Seattle. The beer we had at Collins was simply amazing. The Elysian Omen Belgian Raspberry Stout rocked my socks off. A stout with raspberry notes and I'd hazard a guess that the Belgian portion was the yeast, which finished dry.

Samuel Adams Alpine Spring
Outback Steakhouse. It was the first time I'd ever been. It was a great experience, and me being an Aussie was quite funny in an Australian restaurant in the middle of the US. Even more funny was Samuel Adams Alpine Spring Seasonal. I vividly recall why I drank this beer: there was no other decent beer on tap! I guess I should be thankful that they didn't have VB or Carlton Draught? :-/

This beer really did surprise me. I actually had two of these, possibly three. It was so refreshing and tasty. I felt it had a malt flavour that was smooth and a hop taste that was fruity and subtle. All that combined made for a beer that fit the moment, fit the mood. The more I tried it, the more I actually liked it. Very surprising to say the least.

Wookey Jack
I would like to apologise to you all. This beer could have been in my top five (5). So, so easily this could have been. In fact, I'm sure if I were to have this again that I'd revisit my list and include it. Bambino's Pizzeria in Seattle is simply amazing. It is fan-bloody-tastic. I have never seen anything like it, and would love to go again to this place if given half a chance.

The craft beer menu is phenomenal. Pages upon pages of craft beer from around the country. Lots of bottles, lots on tap. It is to die for. For a pizza place, it has to be the best ever. Sadly, when Dawn and I were there we had an extra visitor, another 'friend' with us. Suffice to say that both of us didn't really agree with most of what this person was saying. It really spoiled the mood Dawn and I had. So, instead of the Firestone Walker Wookey Jack being a winner, my focus was trying finish things quickly so I didn't have to listen to our 'friend'. The whole experience of drinking this beer was lost. I know it was a Black IPA, and I know it was good. How good? Don't know. I just wish I could have that day back again.

Bourbon Stout
You don't need a long neck to be a goose. In fact, this is one goose you'd want to have a long neck for. Goose Island has brewed a real knock-about beer. It will actually knock you about, and not in a good way. The Goose Island Bourbon County Stout is just over 14% alcohol by volume. The moment you take a whiff of this your mind is blown. I immediately smelled a whiskey-like (actually, bourbon) aroma. I'm not a drinker of fine whiskey's or bourbon's but this is a beer you must sit down and drink.

Like it did me, it will kick your butt, rip it in two then expect you to come back for more. I did, but I paid a hefty penalty post consumption.

Jolly Pumpkin Weizen Bam
Trying to pronounce this beer after a skinful is probably not the best of options. It is particularly more difficult when you're at The Happy Gnome in Minnesota. The craft beer menu available is remarkable. In fact, so good is this that I can't even think of any more superlatives. I really wish I had spent more time there.

The Jolly Pumpkin Weizen Bam is a tart, somewhat sour wheat beer that is astonishingly good. I'm not a fan of sour beers but this is an experience you're sure to enjoy. The only other sour beer I ever liked was at a local home brew meet-up in Sydney in which I am part of. That was brilliant, and had been agesd for over twelve months. This didn't quite reach those same heady heights, but it was a solid beer nonetheless.

Tricerahops
To think that all this time I thought a Thesaurus was a dinosaur with a good vocabulary. Ninkasi Brewing delighted me with this equally baffling name of Tricerahops. (At this point in time I did not think that Tricerahops was a dinosaur made from hops). I had the pleasure of having this beer over at The Crab Pot in Seattle, which you can read about here.

There was something about that day, something about the need to drink that beer. It was the name, without a doubt. It didn't disappoint. The beer blended so well with the seafood that it was like they were made for each other. This double IPA proved a worthy beast to drink and the food was awesome as well. What a combination. My senses were definitely overloaded that day.

Double Jack
With a head like that, how on Earth didn't this make my list? Well, as I mentioned earlier the trip to Bambino's Pizzeria was more of a distraction than an entertaining night.

Still, Firestone Walker Double Jack is a formidable beer. An Imperial IPA that is simply bold and beautiful. Sadly, my memories of this (as stated) aren't the best. This could also have easily been added to my top list. I'd really love to get my hands on this beer again and give it another whirl. Are there any bottle shops around Australia that have it? I hope so, as I'll be the first to grab a batch of it and see what I missed out on.
                                        

Fade to Black
"Life, it seems, will fade away. Drifting further every day". Know where that lyric is from? If so, well done. If not, pack your bags and head off to Nashville, Tennessee. The moment I picked this beer up there was a sense of expectation. Sounds funny? It is. I just looked at the 'Fade to Black' label and immediately thought of Metallica. I love Metallica, so in some strange type of way was hoping to love this beer. See where the absurdity lies?

Left Hand Brewing showcase this beer very well. Although my expectations were high, the product itself proudly announced its worth with smokey notes, fruit-like flavours and an ever so slight heat attached to the malt that is found in the chilli.

This beauty of a beer cropped up in Seattle. This was the same night we went to iFly, an indoor sky diving place where they spell fun with a capital F. This Belgian beer capped off a beautiful day, and what better way to drink this spectacular beer

The Scaldis Noel sits between a golden ale and a barley wine. At 12.5% alcohol by volume it sure as hell warms you up. It is described on the website as "one giant beer". It sure as hell is. That night I had about ten (10) beers, and this one was the last. All I remember saying after this was "can we go home? I'm very drunk".

Well, there you have it. The supposed "lesser" list has been compiled. What do you think? Again, I don't doubt that these couldn't have been in my top list. I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles, eh?

dannbrew@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment