Monday 7 October 2013

British Lions versus Australia: Craft Beer Wars

British Lions SpecTAPular
(Due to major personal issues and dramas, this blog update has been severely delayed. Just pinch yourself and dream you're reading this straight after the event. Done it? Great! Now relax, grab a beverage of your choice and enjoy!)

Saturday, 15th June 2013

The anticipation was palpable. Brittan versus Australia. Our very own craft beer wars. The venue? The Local Taphouse in Darlinghurst, Sydney. What a monumental occasion. Forgot about The Ashes. This showdown was all about craft beer. On a cool Saturday afternoon the event slowly heated up to devilish temperatures. Brew masters from opposite ends of the globe waged battle in what can only be described as the British Lions versus Australia SpecTAPular.

Wilkinson's Curse 4.8%
In acknowledging the arrival of the British Lions tour of Australia, the event showcased 20 craft beers from that of the UK and Australia. What an event this turned out to be. A gold coin donation at the door was all that was needed to ensure complete and utter bliss for the rest of the day. 
What better way to start off the craft beer day than to have an Australian beer. 

Illawarra Brewing put on an "Aussie Pilsner" called Wilkinson's Curse. It was "...brewed to remember the pain of the last 10 years, and look back fondly on all Jonny's injuries since then." A simple dig at the well-known Jonny Wilkinson, but this beer certainly didn't carry any injuries. It was tasty, light, refreshing and can certainly be classed as a world beater.

(L) Feral & (R) Harviestoun
After Wilkinson's Curse, out of the scrum feed I went and upstairs to find a mate of mine and his friends. Along the way I managed to wiggle my way through to the bar and order a premium Scottish lager. Harviestoun Brewery has come up with a wonderfully brewed lager, Schiehallion. It's described as "...a stunning lager with elegant head and luscious lacing. It has aromas and flavours of fresh-cut grass, brown sugar, lychee and green mango with a crisp palate and a lingering, fresh, grapefruity finish."

After much searching through the crowd, like driving slowly through thick fog, I finally managed to see my mate Dougal, then promptly plonked my butt down to taste this beast of a lager. To my surprise, Dougal was kind enough to already have a beer waiting for me. Feral Brewing's Smoked Porter. Oh what a delight that beer was.

The Smoked Porter had a "very gentle bitterness" that combined "the classic chocolate malt and coffee characteristics true to the Porter style. A subtle smoked hickory flavor comes from the use of German malts smoked over Birchwood chips." I can assure you that the subtlety of the smoke malt blended superbly well with the chocolate and roasted notes of the Porter. Just behind was my lager I bought earlier, and drinking that behind the Porter managed to get me a bigger smile that anticipated. How big a smile? Anyone that knows the song Black Hole Sun will understand how big it was.

5 flight
Next up, the tasting platter. Well, not the platter itself (which is made of wood), rather the beer tastings which served a perfect go-between from the pint glasses and not having anything at all. Having had such a magnificent start, could I possibly have more fantastic craft beer on my hands?

I could, without question. What a phenomenal introduction to the following beers, from left to right:  Moor Nor'Hop Blonde Ale (England) 4.1%, Brains SA Smooth Bitter (Wales) 4%, St Austell Proper Job IPA (England) 5.5%, Kooinda Hop Infusion (Australia) 7.5%, Summer Wine Warthog (England) 6.5%.

My favourite from the flight was both the Proper Job IPA (center) and the Summer Wine Warthog Porter (far right). The IPA was described as "an authentic IPA brewed with Cornish spring water and malt made from a blend of malts including Cornish grown Maris Otter barley." It was great example of an IPA, and for me a good showing on how to use Maris Otter as a base malt for such a fantastic tasting beer. The Porter was described as "a smooth, subtle porter with fruity notes and malty tones dry-hopped with world varieties." What a cracker this turned out to be. It was worthy of being best beer on the night.
Foreign Extra Stout

However, I wasn't done just yet so judging what would be 'best beer' would take a little longer. What continually fascinated me was the abundance of glorious craft beer at my fingertips. Both Australian and UK beers showcasing their talents in what turned out to be a remarkable evening. Of course, like the Pope helping out at communion on Sunday's I had to drink another pint. Up next, Mountain Goat's Foreign Extra Stout at a very consumable 6.7%.

Imperial Stout
Had I just tasted the best beer of the evening? Indeed I had. Big roasty notes, lots of chocolate tones, great mouthfeel and a sublime all round balance. It was simply superb. What was equally superb was my next craft beer; Marble Brewery's Decadence Imperial Stout at 8.7%.  OH. MY. GOODNESS. It's not often I cry over a craft beer, but this Imperial Stout made me cry with happiness like nothing else. It's like being a kid going to Disneyland.....again!

Can you guess this beer?
But like going to Disneyland, good things must come to and end. Although the evening was still young, the wallet got a huge pounding. For some odd reason I had one last beer, and to my shock I have no idea what the hell it was.

Can you tell from this what the hell I was drinking? To be truthful I don't even know what it tasted like, so giving a report on it would be wrong. What I can say is that the British Lions SpecTAPular was unbelievable. A great array of UK and Australian craft beers that kept the crowd wanting more. I departed The Local Taphouse with nothing but praise for the event and for the staff pouring all that great beer. It was indeed specTAPular.



dannbrew@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment