Thursday 19 March 2015

Opinion: Focusing on American Wheat


American Wheat: Where do I start and how do I brew it?
Preface: Don't you just love opinion pieces? In my second (and limited) edition segment, I focus on things that interest me, then write it down here in the hope it may interest you, the home brewer. No doubt there is plenty of debate with multiple solutions, but this is merely my interpretation, my opinion. After all, it is an opinion piece, right? :-)

Today's update focuses on how to brew an American Wheat. I am a fan of the great American Wheat beer, and they are plentiful over in the US. For me, the easy drinking, smooth quaffability of this style of beer makes it an all-rounder. For Summer, Autumn, Winter or Spring this beer will most certainly bring a smile to your face 

I like the simplicity of American wheat beers, although serving it with lemon is a no-no (in my books). That dislike aside, it was still one of my 'go-to' beers when there was nothing else to drink. The great folk in the US of A do it well, so why not join them? Heck, it inspired me to brew my own, so let's discuss the American Wheat, shall we?

People ask me: what's the difference between an American Wheat and a German Wheat (i.e. Hefeweizen)? Well, the major difference between an American Wheat and German Wheat is the yeast. For a Hefeweizen, a yeast that imparts a banana/clove flavour and aroma is pivotal, whereas an American Wheat uses a neutral yeast that does not impart any flavour and aroma.

The other difference are the hops. Nobles hops are used in German style wheat beers, such as Hallertau or Tettnanger, while the American Wheat commonly focuses on American hops with either fruit-like or citrus-like qualities (e.g. Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial). Granted, you actually can use a noble hop in an American Wheat, which is why I love it so much due to its maneuverability within the style.

Let's kick-off with yeast first up. An example of this? Well, some of the neutral yeasts you could use are Wyeast 1010, WLP001 or even US-05 for an American Wheat. I generally use US-05, only for the fact that I get good, consistent results whatever style I brew when using it.

Granted, you can have fantastic results using other neutral yeasts....and that's OK, too. Choose what you feel comfortable with and run with it. I doubt very much that you will go wrong. It's a good opportunity to see for yourself what your preference is, this way you get to understand each strain. Remember, have fun while you brew. :-)

Another fact about the American Wheat is that there's no law associated with the amount of malted wheat required. In Germany, however, law dictates that at least 50% of the grist has to be malted wheat. So a 60/40 ratio of malted barley and malted wheat (respectively) is no problem. For me, I stick to a 50/50 ratio. It's not set in stone but I would not go anything less than a 60/40 blend.

Just to add a bit of interest to this blog, I actually add a touch of Torrified Wheat to my grist. It's not malted and is "heat treated" in order to get more starches and proteins from it. You don't necessarily have to add this type of wheat to your recipe, but I like to as it adds a fluffy lightness to the beer. Don't add too much, though as it will ruin the style you're trying to achieve. I'd aim for, at most, 5% of the total grist.

Okay, we've talked about malted wheat but what about the other malt: Pale or Pilsner? Well, I'm strictly a Pilsner man. I find it a cleaner finishing malt than that of Pale. If you brew with Pale, go with that. I'd stick to whatever you have 'on-hand' in your house or apartment. If you feel like getting Pilsner, go for it. You will not regret it.

Hops? I'd stick to an Amerian citrus-like hop. For me, I use whatever is in the fridge - and as I like IPAs, lots of citrus-like hops are on-hand. However, hop it lightly with a small 60 minute addition and a generous late addition, say at 5 minutes. The BJCP guidelines say you can use noble hops, which is fine.Just be mindful of the alpha acids of the hop you're using. Remember that it's not an IPA you're hopping, so don't hop the bejesus out of it. The old saying of "a little dab 'ill do ya" (referencing a paint job, I know) is your best option.

In reality, any American style hop that produces a fruit-like or citrus-like aroma will do fine. Personally, I love Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic...just to name a few. Although I recently brewed an American Wheat with Hallertua hops - of which you read about that and more here.  Either way, pick what hops suits you and be sure to stick to the BJCP guidelines.

Mashing temperature is always interesting, regardless of what beer style you're brewing. For me, I'll tend to stick around the 65C-66C mark for my true-to-style American Wheat beers. I think the balance of the Pilsner and Wheat at that temperature range is perfect. Not too much body, but not too many fermentable sugars. A nice, easy split down the middle should do you fine. Feel free to play around and see what tickles your fancy so you can nail down your own version.

Fermentation temperature is also important, but what part of brewing isn't? This one is probably something you can debate 'til the cows come home. I've found a respectable 18C seems appropriate for my American Wheat beers. Just be mindful of the fact which yeast you are using and ensure your fermentation temperature conforms with its preferred temperature range.


I've said it before and I'll say it again: long primary fermentation is critical. Ferment it for at least ten (10) days, even longer if you can. In a perfect world you would leave it ferment for fourteen (14) days. If you are in a rush and it's only for your house beer tap/s, 10 days is fine. Just remember to take gravity readings before you keg or bottle. That's important.

So to sum up: 
  • Choose a neutral yeast like US-05 or WLP001, or even one that assists in the production of an American Wheat beer, such as Wyeast 1010.
  • A minimum of 60% Pilsner (or Pale) and 40% Wheat (malted) should be your grain bill. . 
  • If you're adventurous like me, add 5% of Torrified Wheat and see how you go, but it is not mandatory. (I'd do this on your second brew, so you know the difference when adding this in)
  • Mash at about 65C-66C, that will suit you just fine. 
  • Use an American hop with citrus-like or fruit-like characteristics. Noble hops are fine, too. 
  • A small 60 minute addition and a generous late addition (say, 5 minutes) is your best bet. 
  • Ferment at a constant 18C, which is perfect. Remember to check with your yeast and see what its optimum temperature range is. 
  • Ferment it out thoroughly, so a minimum of 10 days. Aim for 14 days, if you can. 
 Good luck, have fun!

dannbrew@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment