Wednesday 12 December 2012

USA 2012-2013: snow is in the air

Leaving the warmth of Sydney in Spring for the cold Winter of Minnesota isn't necessarily on everyone's bucket list. But I guess knowing lots of friends and having an interest one day to live there is a requirement. Or maybe it is my weird sense of humor in wanting to freeze my nuts off?
V-Australia rival

Crown jewels aside, off I was via V-Australia flight VA1 to Los Angeles, then flying Delta to Minneapolis; the home of the Minnesota Vikings (football) and Minnesota Twins (baseball). Our captain flying this beautiful beast had invited us to enjoy our thirteen hours and four minutes flight where the weather in Los Angeles was akin to our departing city.

As we taxied onto the runway, the ever ready captain stated in a mature and calm voice "Cabin crew, please prepare for landing....err, takeoff". Giggles could be heard from the passengers like little kids being caught farting. With that minor "glitch" out of the way we gracefully elevated into the sky and began our US journey.

That's (V) entertainment!
Saying goodbye to Sydney was hard but saying hello to the US was an even better feeling. I will admit, however, that the in-flight entertainment wasn't as interesting as I had hoped for. Lots of popular music, family movies, teen entertainment and other "in things" relating to all things hip, but it just wasn't my thing.

Thankfully, the ability now to use an USB port and plug in your device of choice was a Godsend. I gleefully plugged in my iPhone and began listening to my favorite music, playing my favorite games and jotting down notes. I felt like a kid who had just got told he had free access to the candy store for a whole day.

Breakfast of Champions
Seeing I was in such a good mood I felt it appropriate that I celebrate. But how? As our dinner service approached I was offered an alcoholic beverage. I had the choice of a VB or Cascade Premium. I promptly chose the Cascade Premium. Surprisingly, this had been my first beer on a plane sine 1994.

It tasted good, rather good. Although I do not consider Cascade as one of those "mega swill" brews, I still was cautious about drinking it. But really, I need not of worried. Just like the Cascade the flight was smooth and palatable. As with most long haul flights the need to sleep increases as the (weary) hours progress.

But it wasn't only the hours that passed. I managed to pass a lot of gas. My farting was heroic. LIke a medal-laden State trooper I was farting with gusto (yes, two fart jokes in this blog!). That chicken dinner I had was the best....for farting. And as my childish humor continued on it made for an self entertaining flight that went quite quickly.

LAX weather
Arriving at LAX made me feel somewhat at home in terms of weather, but getting a connecting flight to Minneapolis was arduous. Like herding cattle to a slaughter house I stood in line until it was "my turn". Several security checks, and several hours, later my Delta flight was ready.

And so was I. Ready to begin my journey in Minnesota with friends and have a great time. Ready to see what Minnesota has to offer. Arriving at Minneapolis/St Paul International airport got me thinking: maybe I'm going to freeze my nuts off after all?   

dannbrew@gmail.com
The Journey continues.....


No comments:

Post a Comment