Saturday 22 December 2012

USA 2012-2013: the forgotten souls

Dann incognito
Writing a blog is always fun, but it becomes embarrassing when you have to be reminded to write about an event that you had totally forgotten about. This was the case recently when my friend, Jenny, kindly commented "Where is the blog about your best beer, the Cocoa Porter at Old Chicago?"

There was a pregnant pause. "Shouldn't it already be on my blog?," I had quizzically replied. "I can't see it," said Jenny in a worrying voice. So, to right the wrongs of my absent mindedness, and to please Jenny, this is blog is for the forgotten souls of Old Chicago, only hours prior to our departure to Seattle.

Old Chicago Winter Tour
Since we had an early departure time to Seattle, we thought it best to down these beers quickly. But it also became apparent that we had the opportunity to start the Old Chicago Winter mini tour. A delicious set of 10 craft beers that, when completed, earned you a limited edition Old Chicago Winter mini tour long sleeve T-shirt. So, what better way than to start from the top and continue down the list.

Of course, Old Chicago only officially recognise four beers per day. You can drink much more than that but when you are doing tours they are quite strict and limit your allocation to four per day. Regardless, Jenn and I started our Winter mini tour with gusto.

Vanilla Porter
So, up first was the Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. Oh. My. Goodness. What a delicious beer this was. A touch of vanilla around the mouth and you have yourself a great interpretation of this type of beer. So good, in fact, that it beats the Breckenridge Brewery's Vanilla Porter, hands down. 
Winter Ale

That was it, our Winter mini tour had started. It was now time to hit our second beer. That second beer was Samuel Adams Winter Ale. A high octane, high alcohol behemoth whose warmth and subtlety gave pleasure to anyone's lips that dared to drink it. I've had my fair share of winter ales so far on this trip to the US but this was extraordinarily nice. 

Cocoa Porter

Even more nice was our next beer; Old Chicago Black Diamond Cocoa Porter. Had I died and gone to heaven? If so, let there be an unlimited supply of this beer on tap! The rich, dark chocolate aroma and texture made this beer by far and away the best beer I had tasted. I was so in love with this beer that I decided to have another one. 

That second cocoa porter was just as good as the first. It was everything in the beer I had anticipated and more. Smooth, dark, hints of dark chocolate and cocoa on the nose, medium viscosity and a true winner. It is such a shame that this is a limited release beer. I guess I have to replicate this beer once I get back to Sydney? 
Winter Skal

But before I even think about going back home to Sydney there was one more beer to be had here at Old Chicago. The Capital Brewing Winter Skål is a more stronger, maltier beer than most others and it seemed right to finish off with this beer.

But as Jenn and I go back home my mind was still on that Cocoa Porter brewed in Colorado and made for Old Chicago. Is this to be the best beer I have tasted within the United States of America? Well, I can safely say that it is my favourite so far.

dannbrew@gmail.com
The Journey continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment