Friday 28 December 2012

USA 2012-2013: Something's fishy in Seattle (Part III)

Pike Place, Seattle
Pike Place Market, Seattle is renowned for fish throwing. No sooner had Dawn, Jenny and I arrived we saw a ten pound Salmon being heaved across the stalls from one fishmonger to another. It had a genuine energy and a vibe that made you feel welcome.

Although this market was very welcoming, a quick trip around and we were already hungry. These hunger pains were gradually getting the better of us so we decided to head towards The Crab Pot. It's a seafood restaurant made famous by its portions and choice of dishes.

The infamous Alaskan Seafeast is something that everyone must try. If you don't, you're a dead-set dimwit. King crab, Dungeness crab, Snow crab, Shrimp, steamed clams, mussels and lots of other mouth-watering goodies is enough to make you whimper with joy.

The combination of being at a famous restaurant and our bellies growling more than an angry grizzly bear, it was very apparent that we were all wide-eyed and excited to the max. To appease myself, and my stomach, I had to grab a beer. But what? Flicking through the beer menu I came across a beer that made me laugh.

Weapons of mass destruction
That beer was called Tricerahops. A play on words for a type of dinosaur, with a hop twist to it. Just brilliant. I had to order it. While we all ordered our drinks, we also ordered our meal. No prizes for guessing what we got. With that meal came the thought of what kind of "cutlery" we'd be using. Well, I say cutlery but it was more like weapons of mass destruction.

I felt I was being transported to the land of Vikings with mallets and pitchfork-like utensils. It was an ominous sign. But how ominous could it be? As we chatted the minutes away our moment of truth had arrived. We received the biggest bowl of seafood this side of Texas. It was simply enormous. I don't think any other word better described it.
Feast of champions

I once again had a Marty Feldman moment. My eyes popping out and bulging at the enormity of our task in eating this seafood extravaganza. Slowly, steadily we crawled our way through like an army personnel training camp cadet on his belly crawling through mud under barbed wire.

As our arduous, yet superlative, task of eating seafood had come to an end, our day had only just begun. We wandered around a bit more before deciding to head off to Ivar's Acres of Clams. Sadly, it wasn't for the clams on this occasion. It was merely a pit stop before we went on to bigger and better things.

Beer tasting ticket. Yay!
Actually, bigger and "better" probably isn't the right phrase. Nothing in Seattle is better than the previous thing you saw. Everything was fresh, new, exciting and simply sensational. But while we were at Ivar's, pure coincidence meant that they were having a beer tasting event the following Thursday. How could I not go to this? Both Jenny and Dawn agreed it'd be a cool thing to do,

Who was I to argue what is cool or not? So after booking three tickets we decided that another cool thing to do was to see the Great Wheel of Seattle. Strangely enough, I've already been on the London Eye back in 2005 so it was kind of cool to be on a similar wheel on the opposite side of the planet.

Great Wheel of Seattle
Be it the London Eye or the Great Wheel of Seattle, this was a ride that the three of us really enjoyed. The cabins, for lack of a better word, only seat about 5 people where as the London Eye cabins are both sitting and standing room that holds a lot more people. Still, with only us three in the cabin going around in circles it was an exciting experience.

To further our Seattle experience we then continued on back to Pike Place. Not the market, rather Pike Brewing located in the market.  I hadn't really expected all too much of this as the rumors that I had heard suggested that it was always packed to the rafters and the beer was mediocre. Nonetheless, I was still excited to get there as Jenny, Dawn and I were, at this stage, beginning to get thirsty. I guess what better way to deal with thirst is to have a beer?

Pike Brewing
I know, stupid question right? I tell you what, although we premeditated the journey to Pike Brewing it still gave me goosebumps being there. The rumors I heard weren't all what they were cracked up to be. In fact, they weren't true at all. Pike Brewing is a modern day art-deco. Glazed with ornaments, fittings, brewery gear, music and just plan awesomeness.

So awesome in fact that they even had a shop that sold their own gear. Totally cool. But as my mouth drooled at the experience, my mouth salivated on the task at hand to drink some beer. I was now wanting to get my lips around Pike's beer. It wasn't too long before that wish was granted.
 
In fact, my wish was granted quite a few times. Many a beer was drank, good times rolled and lots of laughter followed. Although, one special mention has to go to one particular beer; Pike Honeymoon Suite Honey Ale. At 7% abv this certainly was the cream of the crop on the night. It was a beer that Jenny tasted, but didn't like. She gave the rest of the taster to me. At first, it wasn't anything special but you have to take into consideration the other fifty beers I had earlier.

Honeymoon Suite
I tried it again, and again. Sipping the beer in such a way that I could obtain all its textures and flavours. It then caressed me like a busty, sexy woman, hypnotised me like a busty, sexy woman and touched my lips like a...well, you get the picture.

A dark mahogany beer, sweet as a nut with a touch of light, roasted malts made elusive like a frolicking filly in the wilderness only being spotted by the most adventurous man. Class, style, poise, sexiness. This beer had it all. Once it had hold of you, it didn't let go. She was a beauty of a beer.

I was so spellbound by Pike Brewing after this beer that I had to buy something. You know, buy something to take home with me back to Sydney. Our friendly bartender came up with a great solution. Why not buy a tap? Heck, that was a great idea! I'm a home brewer and wanted a fantastic reminder of the day I had here, so what better way to buy and tap handle along with a bottle opener.
Pike tap handle

What a great choice that turned out to be. I got lots of goodies with the tap handle; stickers, coasters and more stickers and coasters. The bartender we had was extraordinarily friendly. We couldn't believe our luck at his genuine kindness....or maybe that was because I had bought $150 worth of merchandise?

Jenny, Dann and Dawn
But forget about the merchandise. Our day was fantastic. The Crab Pot was awesome, the Great Wheel of Seattle had been fantastic, Ivar's was a great pit stop and landing here at Pike Brewing was a night that we enjoyed immensely. Seattle was becoming very welcoming, and to think that our trip here was just the beginning.

dannbrew@gmail.com
The Journey continues.....










No comments:

Post a Comment