Wednesday 12 December 2012

USA 2012-2013: the experience

Loving craft beer, being an all grain brewer and me being an Australian holidaying in the US right now is just amazing. Part of the deal when I arrived in the US was to simply try as many craft beers (and non-craft beers) as possible. I had to, right? I'd do my beer brewing community a goddamn injustice if I hadn't.

So as Dawn and Jenny picked me up from Minneapolis/St Paul International Airport we head straight to the liquor store. Partly because we wanted to stock up, and partly so I could get my hands on a Surly Coffee Bender. How I love you Surly! It was also an opportunity for us to catch up and chat for a while. Of course, we headed off to our local haunt, Valley Lounge, first to visit our good friend Trish.

Over time, I've been accustomed to drinking Schell's Dark at the Valley. So it was to no great surprise that my first pint of this was gobbled down in a few seconds. I was certainly a thirsty boy!  Up next was a Schell's Snowstorm. That really did hit me like an out-of-control freight train. At 7.5% abv this jet-lagged puppy felt like a paralised Turkey heading straight for the oven. After a few beers, and less brain cells later, we say goodbye to Trish and head off home.

Who's drinking the tea?!
We hit home and start opening our liquor store bought beers. As I was on a mission, this was not a case of mission impossible. My aim was to drink as many different brews as possible during my 10 week US trip. Although I've already drank Surly's Coffee Bender before I just couldn't help myself drinking this first.

That smooth, rich coffee flavour permeates throughout this beer making it one of my favourites. It's so unique and so nice to have a beer with coffee in it....and here's me that doesn't like drinking coffee! Up next was a beer that caught me attention; Flying Dog Brewery's Snake Dog IPA.

It was my virgin IPA on this trip. It was nice, and at 60 IBU it went down smooth. My only concern was that since I am in the land of IPA's would I be able to tell the difference between a 60 IBU beer to that of a 90 IBU beer? That "perceived bitterness"? I say this as James Spencer from Basic Brewing had an IBU Ceiling Experiment that I listened to and it made me ponder. No, not Ponder from the Vikings. He throws bad!

Perceived bitterness aside, I had plenty of time to find out what was my best IPA here in the land of the USA. I knew that there would be plenty of opportunities. For example, I knew that at some point I'd be going to The Happy Gnome, Old Chicago, The Muddy Pig, Town Hall Brewery, Surly Brewing and others.

Next up was some sweat, Buffalo Sweat. Well, not actually sweat from a Buffalo but rather a beer named Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout from Tallgrass Brewing. Aren't I thankful there isn't a beer called Dog's Balls? Actually, I shouldn't jinx things like that so best that I keep on topic. 

This Buffalo Sweat was really nice. A very drinkable beer and I'd go as far as to say that you can have it as a session beer. It has enough character and flavour in it that it will interest you for a long time. But as beers go it was time for me to continue my beer tasting journey. 

The beer up next was from a brewing company close to my heart; Summit Brewing. Last time I was here in Minnesota I was lucky enough to do a brewery tour and try out their new Oatmeal Stout that was new at the time. It was a beauty of a beer. One of the better brews that I had the fortune in tasting. 

This time 'round I had the opportunity to try a Great Northern Porter. For me it was very typical of the style with coffee and chocolate notes. Again, a smooth beer that lent itself well to your average beer drinker who likes darker beers. It is certainly another session beer in my books.

Last on my books for the night was a beer I had tried back in 2010 at Old Chicago. The Vanilla Porter from Breckenridge Brewery in Colorado. Goddamn I love this beer. A fellow brewer and friend of mine, Kyle, had brewed a similar beer...and I was keen to try this again.

So keen in fact that for some reason I wanted to try this more than the others. Why? Not sure. All I can say is that the last time I had tried this it was just a beautiful blend of that typical chocolate and roasted flavour but with the added bonus of a pinch of vanilla. Seriously, this beer is a noticeable change from a normal Porter beer.

And so my first beer "experience" here in Minnesota was complete. A great way to introduce myself to all things beer., visit great friends and find the next true gem of craft beer.Thank God I did it, as it would have been a complete injustice had I of not.


dannbrew@gmail.com
The Journey continues.....

No comments:

Post a Comment